Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Who? Me??

I'm about to pat myself on the back. Don't get used to it. And if you don't like it don't read on. But I am happy! I started running because it's an easy way for me to lose weight. Before I was pregnant with Avery I would run 4 miles on the treadmill. We had a hard time implating THE seed into my jostled overy, so I slowed down, and concentrated on the elliptical machine. Bam! One month later, I am preggers with Avery! Dave, Will and I are on cloud nine. So forget running, although I know perfectly well you can run (lots) while you are pregnant, I automatically deducted that my body couldn't handle the trama, much less the smell of deoderant.

With Avery, I had gained quite a bit of weight. I could have birthed a five year old! Who cares if I eat 6 donuts! I'll just run it off. A week after Avery was born I jogged around the block with Will. I was serious about getting back to my old self. After the all clear from my ob-gyn I headed to the gym and cried with happiness when I stepped on the treadmill. This honeymoon was short lived - Avery hated me to be any where she wasn't. I didn't want Dave's heart to break every time I left. Plus, this milk-maid is not a copious producer. Even after fenegreek and enough water to pee a lake, I have just enough to pump a bottle - oh, I forgot, she didn't take bottles. So with a freezer of liquid gold, I sat waiting to lace up my running shoes.

This depression was short lived. E-bay and a good friend brought me to my prize Kelty jogging stroller. It is my favorite baby product. After this long introduction, I've used my jogging stroller more often than Avery sat in a high chair. We run together a few times a week. I put on my IPOD and go and go, walking, jogging, sprinting, panting in rainstorms, 103 degree 5pm heat, anything.

Lately, since I was introduced to a favorite friend who happens to be equally obsessive and our very favorite fitness instuctor, I haven't run as much. But we signed up for a charity 5K. So this Lifetime crew and my Nanu headed out together, new race clothes included! I have to admit I am not a competitive person - with other people. I could care less who got first, second, or third. However, I can be extremely competitive with myself - it's not a good thing - I strive for perfection and sometimes I really don't think I can ever be satisfied. But, it is really fun to try!!!

When the race starts I get a little nod from my friend "It's okay to leave me" and off I go. It's a little too fast of a pace, but clausterphobia is at it's highest here and I just gotta go. I find a good spot far away from the mob and in between a really tall man, who I just can't quite squeeze past, and my fitness instructor's 14 year old son. Mile 2, then Mile 3, and I might just crawl the rest of the day. A little attempt to sprint the last 10 yards because Avery and Dave are waiting at the finish line and I am THERE! Done! 3.1 miles, 23 minutes, where's the door prizes?

Dave is so proud and I can't figure out why. Where's the gatorade? Bananas? Chocolate Muffins? Live band? Trapeze Artist? Flame Thrower?

Dave: "Guess what Honey!?!"
Me: "Huh?"
Dave: "You did really good! I think you got first place in your age division."
Me: "Oh, Can you hold my water?"
Dave: "No, really."

Really! It's kinda fun to win. When they announce my name, I bend down like an Olympian to receive my medal. Hum, a girl can get used to this! But first let's go to Steinmart because the $20 gift certificate I won as a door prize is burning a whole in my sweaty pocket and if you're (I'm) lucky I might even wear my medal!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Speed Racer Go Speed Racer GOOOO!

Hey what about that triathalon?
love ur nanu

TMK said...

You were on FIRE that morning! I on the other hand, needed a defibulator. But that's not here nor there. You were the superstar of all superstars that morning and I'm just glad Nanu was there with me. I need her at all races from here on out, K? Oh, and tell her to brush up on those lifesaving skills :)

Anonymous said...

Anne you're my hero! My personal goal for my next 5K is to finish in under 30 minutes. I couldn't imagine finishing in 23. You're amazing!! I wish we could train together.
Merci

Anonymous said...

Girl you ROCK! i'm so excited for you!!!! and feeling a little bad as i scarf down my 3rd soft pretzel and nacho cheese dip of the day....:(