Sunday, March 07, 2010

Happy Birthday Dr Seuss


Ahhh to celebrate...and to read. What is this week about? It's a celebration of reading. My confucious, my psalms, my ode comes from one great man; Theodor Geisel aka Dr Seuss. Does this mean I'm a perpetual child? No! It doesn't count when you were too busy reading Baby Sitters Club, Nancy Drew, and Hardy Boys, and other classics rather than Hop on Pop, There's a Wocket in My Pocket, Green Eggs and Ham, which are without a doubt the TRUE classics.

And shut up! my favorite memories in school involved sitting in a circle around our teacher's feet and listening, listening to words come alive as she read us non-picture books...with lots of pages. Okay, I liked recess, I liked gym, but best of all I liked the quiet as a the magic unfolded as these majestic creatures, these sirens, read aloud.

It wasn't until my William was born that I found out about Dr Seuss. It all started with a trip to Target (as many days do) and Dave's oldest brother Jeff, who came out of an isle with a handful of books, Will was just a few months old. He gave us the greatest gift, our first collection of Dr Seuss. And since then the love started and only has continued to grow.

What a wonderful thing, to read aloud, silly words and rhymes only to find out how prophetic these words truly are...Life is good: really, it's not the prozac talking, but as always "Today is gone. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Seuss is the bestest of the restest...I love that you love to read to them. They have a good mama. Storytime at your house is my favorite too.. : P Love you all...I don't think I've heard there's a wocket in my pocket!!!
~love, nanu.