Monday, January 29, 2007


ME: Hello? (resonating nervousness)
ME again: Uh... World of Blog? (gulp, it's been a long time)
ME resisting the beg: Are you still there? (okay,pleading)

Oh Man, I miss talking to myself. I've had so much to say but the dynamics haven't quite been right. So I apologize, my fathiful blog. Can you ever forgive me?

Meanwhile, during A's naptime I've been reading some great books. I read 7 of Mma Makotowse's #1 Ladies Dectective Agency. It's the kind of reading I fight to finish only to be sad when I close the last page. I have to admit it took me a while to get through book 1. We bought in a Pat's Place in Rockport. It stayed in my suitcase, then on my nightstand, moved to under the bed, where it was resusitated, because I can't stand anything to be under a bed, and finally read with an annoying South African dialect. WHat? I'm not sure were I conjured that, but it stuck with me throughout the book. Kinda like when Madonna married Guy Richie.

I do have a love affair with books - short ones, tall ones, skinny ones, and ohhh, fat ones. Over Christmas Dave almost sent me packing (not really) because of a shopping spree I had a Scholastic Book Warehouse Sale. When Avery and I walked in I felt so happy, I could have cried. It was an amazing thing! When Will gets his book order form I immediately transported back in time to when I would spend hours reading the descriptions, adding up the totals, and anticipating the blessed arrival. I scour his take home work - in hopes of the thin, newspaper print sheets - in hopes seeing the Scholastic logo - in hopes of pouring out the pages over the kitchen table, and finding gems I can share with the family. Obsessive? Yes. Impulsive. Maybe. Addictive? Yes, but are books really that bad? We all have to have our vices, some more than others.

In my dream of what heaven is I find peace in the idea of an eternity of books, Hershey with Almonds, a treadmill with jogging stroller attachment, and memories both sweet and stinky, full of rich characters, wonderful words, and lots of living! Not so bad, but I'm on a b...b...budget now and it might be heaven till I get my next trip to the Scholastic Book Warehouse. Man! It was good while it lasted.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nanu we sooo have the twin telepathy thing going on. So glad to read another story. Not that we don't talk to each other on a daily, hourly basis. But ya know my nanu the book worm is a smart cookie, a good chatter, and just an all around favorite of mine!

See you soon and hopefully not with my mound of laundry in tow.

TMK said...

Cute picture! I'm not relating to this post and your ocd with books?! ALthough, I am enjoying that one you are "Making" me read, or at least that is what I'm telling myself everytime I see it sad and lonely. I'm not American am I? I am South African and that's where your voices in your head came from...me!

Anonymous said...

Finally!!!! I have been waiting for you to blog cause it is one of the only things I read :-)
Thanks for giving me a ride everyday while I was broken - you are the best. I will take you to the scholastic warehouse and let you buy whatever you want for being my driver for 2 weeks. see you in the street soon
jana

Pisser said...

I freaking loved those fliers, and the smell of new workbooks.

Do they make workbooks anymore?!

You can put a stroller?! On a treadmill?!!

Anonymous said...

miss annie banannie! love that your back! and books...yes, my obsession as you well know...one word for you....
www.bookcrossing.com
it will change everything.... :) :)

Anonymous said...

excuse me, your writer's block should be over by now!

Jan, Feb, March, April...


nanu where's the scoop.

luv,
nanu, bibi and the little peepee 'er (not on the floor!)